Sterling Athletes Team
Sébastien is originally from Toulon. Before he dedicated his time fully to his passion, mountaineering, he has completed a degree in Alpine Geography.
His thirst for adventure took him from countries such as Turkey and Peru to the high mountains of Pakistan. Since 2000, he work as a Mountain Guide in Chamonix, La Clusaz and all over the world.
How did you get started climbing? My father in law create a mountain movie festival in Pau . I meet a lot of very famous alpine and rock climber, during this time.
How old were you when you started? I was 10 yares old
Who or what inspired you to start climbing?
Different person inspired me, like Christoph e PROFIT ( He made the Eiger, Grandes Jorasses and Matterhorn north face solo in winter in less than 48 h ), Patrick BERAULT ( one of the more aesthetic rock climber, )ever or a mountain movie maker Marcel ICHAC (
Who served as your inspiration in life?
I try to find my own way
What was your first outdoor climb? I was rock climbing in solo when I was 7 years old during some mountain hiking with my parents
Any training advice or suggestions ?
Just do it :)
If you could have 1 superpower what would it be? Be able to go from a place in the world to an other place in few seconds
If you could have 3 wishes, what would they be? (no wishing for more wishes)
To have a nice and long life with the people I love and like .
To have more time for climbing and other mountain adventures
To have more clients to travel around and share with them my passion .
What was your favorite childhood cartoon?
Vil Coyote and Bip Bip
Shameless self-promotion - website, blog, facebook, twitter, myspace, youtube,. (list only ones you want public to see)
- Grand pic de la Meije (3983 m - Ecrins) : north face directe (TD+)
- Olan (3564 m -Ecrins) : north face, voie Couzy-Desmaison (ED-)
- Mont Blanc du Tacul (4242 m - Mont Blanc) : Supercouloir, Attaque directe, 6/R, 800m
- Rateau (3766 m - Ecrins) : face nord, voie Allera-Pelatan (TD), en hiver
- Pic Sans Nom (3914 m - Ecrins) : face nord, La raie des fesses (ED) Verdon : Atlantide (A4/6b)
- Mallos Pison (Mallos de Riglos) : La Carnavalada (7b max - 300m)
- A lot of 7b (some on sight ) and one 7c
- The Shield Yosemite 1000 m A3 . 5.8, 2900' feet
- Beyond Good and Evil in Les Pelerins : ED [V 5+ 5c A1/A2 M5 R, 600m] "Fourteen exceptional pitches of severe mixed climbing". Magnificent corner on pitches 5 & 6, epitomising Chamonix goulotte climbing
- Some of the Ice falls I have done
- Argentière : Shiva Lingam (6) 200 m
- Argentière : Nuit Blanche (6) 200 m
- Gramuzat : Gramuzat direct (6+) 300 m
- Gramuzat : Jeu de Quille (6) 300 m ect
Future climbing season objectives, travel plans,
Climb a french grade 8a
Open new multi pitch routes on free climbing and aid climbing
Personal Website: http://www.mountain-guide-adventure.co.uk/
Occupation: Mountain Guide, Webmaster
SHORT TERM CLIMBING GOALS:
SHORT TERM PERSONAL GOALS:
Long Tern Climbing Goals: Climb a french grade 8a
LONG TERM PERSONAL GOALS:
Develop a climbing focused website ( rock and ice climbing )
Best day of climbing: My last day in the Shield in el Capitan ( Yosemite )
It was unreal to walk again after 5 days of ascent
Your favorite climb:
Los Mallos de Riglos in Spain, the rock is incredible
List at least 5 reasons why you like Sterling Rope
1: I would like to work with Sterling in order to promote in America European rock and ice climbing courses
2: It's an American Brand
3: Nice choice of rope
4: It's not a very known brand in Europe
5: It looks like a very reactive brand
Write a short story on a recent climbing adventure:
I Climb Mont Blanc in June with a blind client . It took us 17 hours from hut to hut .
It was a great experience as a Guide to do it and to share it with this very special client . He was very concentrated and he really give my all his confidence . The concentration was very intense for me, but I was very happy to do it with and for him .
The last book you read?
L'hermitage des Brumes from Kenneth White
Your favorite book/story?
Mixed Emotions from Greg Child
List 5 favorite movies?
Vita è bella
The English patient
The Schindler's list
The Big Lebowski
Your favorite types of music? Jazz
Other sports/activities you like to do? (other than climb)
What do you feel is you best accomplishment (other than climbing)?
Become a Mountain Guide
Your favorite beverages?
Water, tea, beer
One favorite personal quote?
When you reach the top, carry on climbing .
What do you want to do in the next 5 years? Work as a Guide all over the world
Where do you want to be 5 years from now? In a nice house with my wife and kids