Sterling Athletes Team
I was born in Nice, France and I'm passionate about outdoors activities; running, skiing, rock climbing, mountaineering, mountain biking and canyoning.
- Climbed Mt. Everest at the first attempt and more than 250 peaks in the Himalayas, Andes, Alps and Alaska
- 7th Frenchmen to complete the Seven Summits Challenge
- Went to multiples expedition in the Himalayas, Andes and Alaska.
- Made around 30 solo ascents in the Alps
- Run more than 40,000 km (25,000 miles) around the world; Sahara desert, Amazonia, Nepal...
- Climbed more than 1,500 sport climbing routes in 60 cliffs, on-sight 8a (5.13b) and red-point 8b+ (5.14a). Bolted more than 50 routes.
- Coached youth climbing teams in USA and France on international level.
How did you get started climbing? I was mountaineering and wanted to climb more technical Alpine route so I started rock climbing as training. After a few years I enjoyed rock climbing so much that it became my main sport along with running.
How old were you when you started? 21 years old
Who or what inspired you to start climbing? Going further in mountaineering.
What was your first outdoor climb? I tried to solo climb a 5c self-belayed with an 8mm rope and a prussic. I fell, the prussic didn't stop me and I slipped down to a shelf. I was lucky enough to not be injured but very scared.
Any training advice or suggestions? Keep training all year round, never stop more than a few days to avoid injuries. Combine and alternate rock climbing with other sports (running, cycling, swimming...) to develop endurance and cardio...and for the fun.
Shameless self-promotion - Web site: www.philippegatta.fr